Selling or renting out your property isn’t always a straightforward job. With so many properties on the market these days, it can be a struggle getting yours to stand out. Fortunately, there is something you can do to stay ahead of the competition; property staging.
Property staging means presenting it in the best possible light. It’s about creating an inspirational lifestyle that appeals to the target market you’re aiming at. If you can help potential buyers or tenants envision what life would be like in your property, it stops being a house and starts becoming a home to them.
There’s an art to getting property staging right. You need to find quality furniture, place everything perfectly, take the best photographs and capture the lifestyle potential buyers and tenants are looking for. We stage properties to the highest possible standards, and in this blog, we provide you with our top property staging tips.
Property Staging Tip #1: Know Your Target Market
Before you even think about staging your property, you need to consider the demographic you’re aiming towards. After all, a four-bed detached property in the suburbs will appeal to a much different audience than a two-bed flat in Manchester or London, and your property has to fit the environment.
Get to know the area surrounding your property. Do you see young professionals on the way to work or retirees going for a brisk stroll? Are there bars and restaurants as far as the eye can see or luscious green fields? Once you know more about the area and the people who live there, the easier it is to dress your property so it attracts the right sort of buyers or tenants.
Property Staging Tip #2: Source High Quality Furniture
To sell the lifestyle behind your property, you need to install furniture and furnishings that are best suited to your property and target demographic. This is why it’s so important to complete our first property staging tip before dressing your property. Get to know what the people like, and cater to that need.
One thing that everyone likes is quality decor. If there are no furnishings in your property, or the furniture in there looks tired and dated, make sure to install pieces that look good, feel good and highlight the best aspects of your property.
Property Staging Tip #3: Perfect Placement
Once you have the type of furniture your target demographic will like, it’s time to put everything together. Remember, your property has to sell the dream lifestyle, so it’s no good simply pointing the sofa in the direction of the TV and thinking the job’s a good ‘un.
If you have a sizable lounge area, position the seating so it feels more inclusive. Sell the room as a space where everyone can relax, unwind and have a chat in good company. Little touches will also have a great affect. Add some accessories such as quirky artwork to make your property more memorable. Soft and comforting throws will create an extra layer of cosiness. Even mirrors can
bring out the best in your property, as it will make it look brighter and more spacious.
Property Staging Tip #4: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
Probably not the smartest thing to say in a 1000-word blog, but we’re nothing if not honest. The first time your potential buyers or tenants will see your property is online, so you need to ensure the pictures you put up show just how stunning your property is.
Possible buyers and tenants will flick back and forth over the images you’ve uploaded, analysing every detail, and wondering how likely it is they can see themselves living there. Sure, they’ll read the description as well, but a bullet point stating the lounge is 4m by 6m just doesn’t compare to a stunning photo that shows how much space is available and what can be done with the right decor.
Bonus Tip: Don’t Use Your Phone’s Camera
As good as camera phones are these days, professional photography equipment is still the way to go. The resolution is much better, and the professional behind the camera is worth their weight in gold. We can’t tell you how many times our in-house photographer has snapped the perfect pic thanks to her skills and expertise.
Let’s Take a Look at the Numbers
Even after reading through our top property staging tips, we know some of you may still be on the fence about the idea. But, what if we told you property staging has a proven positive impact on the ability to sell and rent out properties? Here are the key stats:
- 75% of homebuyers spend more time viewing a staged property over an unstaged one
- In 2019, 83% of property developers saw an increase in the values offered for staged properties, 33% of which were over 10% higher than the asking price
- 86% of estate agents agree that a staged home will sell up to three times faster than a non-staged home
What About Virtual Property Staging?
If you’re short on time or budget, virtual property staging can be a viable alternative. Instead of fully furnishing a property, VPS provides you with a computer-generated image of how your property could look. This involves:
- Sending high resolution images of your property to an Interior Designer
- Discussing your preferred design style
- Choosing a furniture package
Receiving your images ready for marketing.
Can LOFT Help With Property Staging?
We’re glad you asked. And the answer, of course, is a big resounding YES! LOFT’s award-winning Interior Design team has staged countless properties over the years, and we know how to present your property to perfection. Here’s how our process works in six easy steps:
- Get in Touch — A member of our dedicated team will ask for a copy of your floor plan and any other relevant information about your property such as location, size and value, so that we can provide a tailored quotation specific to your property and requirements. Tel: 0372 291 3042 | Email: [email protected]
- Quotation — When we have all the information we need, we’ll send you a no-obligation estimate quotation within 24 hours.
- Site Visit — A member of our Interior Design team will visit your property to measure up, confirm the inventory, and evaluate access to the property.
- Design — An experienced LOFT designer will select your bespoke furniture scheme, and carefully select furniture pieces and accessories best suited to your property and the target demographic. Our furniture is sourced from a select range of UK and European suppliers.
- Delivery & Installation — On the day of installation, our installation team will work alongside your Interior Designer to dress your property to the highest of standards. A white-glove service ensures the installation is simple and hassle free; installations are usually completed within one working day, depending on requirements. LOFT can also collect and return keys to estate agents if required, as well as offering a photography service to ensure those picture perfect campaign photos are captured.
- Collection — When you no longer require the furniture, book in your collection and our team will come and carefully remove the furniture and accessories. If you decide that our furniture range has really helped with your property, there’s an option to purchase the furniture at the end of the rental agreement.
We also offer virtual property staging if you think that service is better suited to your needs. LOFT has a lot of expertise, and if you want to see our top property staging tips put into action, you can always get in contact for a helping hand.